Tuesday, January 29, 2013

More Pictures from Natimuk Drawing Time

We have a backlog of pictures from Weeks 3, 2 and 1, Natimuk Drawing Time Club - Girls and One Boy!!
First we will post up the rest of Week 2 pictures which I photographed with my phone.


This beautiful drawing is by Lani Jones. The flowers are so perky and colourful, standing proudly in the desert landscape. I'm not sure if Lani intended the sky to look as if it is raining or not, but I like to think so, as the lines are slanting downward like rain does. I think I shall print this lovely piece out to hang on the wall as a rain spell for this year.  Everytime I look at it, I will cross my fingers and wish hard for rain!! Thank-you Lani.

This artistically wild and free masterpiece is by Freya Jones, younger sister of Lani Jones.  Freya has filled in the whole page with gorgeous colours and patterns, and it really looks like she enjoyed herself while creating this piece. The lines are wonderfully fluid and very exciting!!
Here is a collaboration between Kelly Grey, Lani Jones, Ben Grey and Mars Drum.  It was lots of fun playing with this "Pass It On" piece, it got more fascinating every time it rotated! Here's an aerial view of the collaboration in process:

 Collaborations are very important learning experiences for any artist. The one rule is that you are not allowed to "go over" anyone  else's drawing, after rotating 90 degrees, you can only "add" to it...the tacit rule is that you will add to it only in the same vein that it was previously drawn, ie. usually in a positive way. This Drawing Time game teaches all the artists involved to relinquish full control of their creative input, to drop the "preciousness" and drive for perfection, gain skills in working as a team, learn to embrace differences and "accidents", etc etc etc. It's fun and a valuable life experience at the same time. 


This is soooo beautiful! It is a collaboration between Freya Jones, Isabelle Hoskins and Mars Drum (myself!). I was completely inspired during this collaborative piece, the other two artists were showing me a whole new way to collaborate with each other. One or two of us would colour with watercolour pencils, while the third artist would paint over the lines with the water brush. I think the result shows a softness and fluidity that I haven't seen before in collaborative pieces, in all the years Drawing Time has been going. Yay!!
Isabelle Hoskins is the creator of the above masterpiece, isn't it a beauty? I absolutely love it, I'm reminded of  one of my grandmother's painting of roses in these colours....just beautiful, Isabelle!

Isabelle and I collaborated on this piece, which was heaps of fun. Sometimes Isabelle would draw and I would follow with the water brush, then we would swap around. I think of birds in a wild storm when I look at this. Isabelle has a definite individual style, her favourite thing in Drawing Time is experimenting with the thick black ProMarker pen, which I totally understand as the black pen is also my favourite.


No comments:

Post a Comment